J. S. Choi, MD is a physician of internal medicine and clinical informatics.
Kettering Medical Center
Internal Medicine Residency
After graduation, Joshua has been practicing medicine, as a resident physician under the supervision of attending physicians at Kettering Medical Center, Sycamore Medical Center, and in the Sycamore Primary Care Clinic. His residency program gives in-depth postgraduate training, as a requirement to obtaining an unrestricted license to practice medicine in the United States.
Saint Louis University College of Medicine
Doctor of Medicine
First extra academic year was voluntarily requested from school, to gain further bioinformatics research and elective clinical rotations, before deciding on speciality for residency for Psychiatry. Second extra year was voluntarily requested from school: after soliciting faculty feedback that suggested a mismatch with Psychiatry, specialty was pivoted to Internal Medicine. Extra year was composed of continuous Internal Medicine rotations of direct patient care, followed by successful NRMP match for Internal Medicine in 2018.
University of Arizona College of Medicine
Bachelor of Science
Major in Physiology • Double minor in Computer Science and Chemistry.
Summa cum laude. GPA 3.98.
Practice guidelines of BPSD pharmacologic management: a review
George T. Grossberg, MD • SLU SOM Department of Neurology & Psychiatry
A systematic literature review was performed over recently published practice guidelines on the pharmacologic management of behavioral and psychiatric symptoms of dementia. The publication process was placed on hold following pivot from Psychiatry to Internal Medicine.
Patient-data displays: visual presentation and design
David Burroughs, PhD • SLU Center for Outcomes Research
This project compiled existing information on the visual design of patient-data displays. Information included methods of presentation and visualization of patient data to healthcare providers and how these methods affect clinical decision making, diagnosis, medical errors, and medical outcomes. The project culminated in an audiovisual presentation.
Meaningful-use standards for pediatric electronic health record systems
Feliciano B. Yu, Jr., MD • Washington University in St. Louis • St. Louis Children’s Hospital
This project consolidated several standards of meaningful-use requirements for electronic medical records’ user interfaces into a single database. It focused on requirements from the Children’s EHR Format, HL7, and NIST 7865 standards.
Patient electronic-health-record programmatic data analysis
Allan Wachter, MD
Data analysis was performed on longitudinal patient data on behalf of A. Wachter in an retrospective study for predicting asthma with the United States Navy. A computer program was developed to clean, normalize, and combine heterogenous patient data from several independent sources: the US Navy, the US Department of Veterans Affairs, and several pharmaceutical companies.
Skills and Interests
UNIX command-line administration, programming, and data processing.
- Developed in 2008. Library used by other programmers to parse text into data structures using grammars that the programmer creates; now deprecated. Published on GitHub.
- Weather application: Developed in 2008 for Windows and Mac using the Ruby programming language.
Hobbies and interests
- Technology standards
- Student Member of the Unicode Consortium, 2016–2017.
- Contributor to ECMA Technical Committee 39, 2018.
- Public health and education
- Evidence- and science-based medicine
- Measuring and improving medical outcomes through educational aids and data visualizations
- Clinical decision making, usability, design
- Relationships between clinical decision making, cognitive psychology, usability, and user-interface design
- Testing and improving medical computer interfaces
- Computer science and engineering
- Programming-language design
- Text parsing
- Relational data modeling
- Data-interchange formats
- Licensed amateur-radio operator
- Digital typography
- Violin, piano, and music composition
- Interactive multimedia